Friday, October 19, 2007

not much to report

Today the Tube smelled like boiled cabbage. Of course I live in Milan, and so it's not called the Tube, I am just beguiling my mind into thinking I live in London.
So, in the metropolitana today it smelled like golombki. And for those of you who haven't had the fortune of being raised Polish in a place with a very cold winter,
golombki are cabbage wraps. You know, stuffed cabbage. Filled with...well, every Polish mother does it differently. At my house it's more or less a mixture of minced meat, fried cabbage (because you can't have enough of those Cruciferae!), onion, spices, and rice or barley. All of this is nicely baked in a tomato or mushroom sauce and served piping hot.
Hungry yet?
On another note, while waiting patiently at a bus stop today a sweet old lady told me I had a nice ass. Swear to god. Well, she didn't use those precise words. She said I had a nice "bottom." What ensued was my (very) embarrassed reply of "Thanks?" and then her telling me all about her youth, and how she had had a nice ass too and so there was hope for me in my old age, because, you know, she still had it at 77. I won't deny she was a good-looking 77-year-old, but I wouldn't go so far as to say she "still" had "it," unless "it" meant dentures and age spots.
Suffice it to say the day has been amusing. I just returned from a long run, I have a bath drawn, and later dinner with friends. Not a bad Friday at all.

No comments: