Saturday, October 13, 2007

Kara....what???

I woke up this morning (or rather, I was woken up) to the sounds of my neighbor singing karaoke. It was 7:20am. Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse.
Now, these neighbors are new. I live in a building made by someone who should have been strung up by his ankles. The walls are rice paper and when someone sneezes next door, I say "Bless You." I spend most of the time in my flat conversing in near whispers out of terror of being overheard. Ah...I skipped a detail. My bedroom shares the wall with the neighbors' kitchen/living room. Grand.
Why don't I move? Well, the aesthetic of the exterior is very nice. The neighborhood is wonderful. I bought the flat two months before the Euro currency took over here, meaning I spent very little for what is now an expensive flat. I can't afford to move.
The neighbors I had before were a crazy couple, who then had a crazy child. She yelled all the time about everything, and I passed a good 6 years listening to her screams at 7:30 am on Sunday mornings. Once the baby came, I heard Mom shout and the baby. Poor baby, what did she know? As the years passed she grew into a mini version of her Mom, shrieking became normal for her too...hey, Mom always did it. I was a nervous wreck.
When they told me this fall that they were moving, I was overjoyed. And then a sense of dread washed over me..."My God, who will be moving in???"
Well, two brothers moved in. In their 50s, unmarried, and even crazier than the family living here before them. One is seemingly normal...accountant type. The other looks like a serial killer, dresses funny, and slurs his words when he speaks. Speaking...this is rare for him. To him, it's normal to scream at the top of his lungs. This is the brother singing this morning. Imagine for a moment what that sounded like. He was singing..."Pazza come una terrazza." Crazy like a terrace. God how ironic!
So, it is with heavy heart that I face each evening. Will they scream and blaspheme all night? (Yes, I forgot to mention they LOVE to blaspheme). Shall I be able to get to sleep before 1am?

I didn't think so many people were nuts in the world. And they all seem to be living in this building.

No comments: